Curiouser and curiouser, right? It’s impossible to do a recap of a week’s worth of news right now, because so much is going on, that it feels like we’ve had this regime in place for a year already. But I’m going to try to fill you in on some important bits and pieces.
There are two main things going on:
1) The GOP is in control of Congress with a president who won’t veto anything they do. So we have to be vigilant in calling, writing, protesting, and speaking up about the issues that are important to us.
2) The so-called president is an existential threat to American democracy and world peace. His election is illegitimate due to Russian interference and voter suppression. Never mind that he lost the popular vote by almost 3million and our out-of-date electoral system is the only reason he is now allowed to sit in the Oval Office. Yesterday, three different investigations into the misdeeds of the Trump administration were initiated: Kellyanne Conway’s plug of Ivanka Trump’s fashion line, Trump’s apparent discussion of sensitive information out in the open this weekend at Mar-a-Lago, and, Russia’s interference in the elections, which requires several links to catch up on:
- Head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, Michael Flynn, resigned over contacts with Russian agents during the election.
- The Trump team had an ongoing relationship with Russian intelligence agents for a year.
- Senators from both sides of the aisle now want a further investigation.
- The US Intelligence Agencies don’t trust the White House to keep secrets from Russia.
- Dan Rather compared this to Watergate. I personally think it’s worse, and so does Michael Moore.
- And get your butt over to Rebecca Solnit’s Facebook page today. Because, damn!
What Can You Do Next?
If you aren’t in a local political or activist group yet, now’s the time to sign up. This is critical for resisting GOP policies and promoting social justice, protecting the environment, and everything that they are trying to tear down. I suggest you use the Indivisible Guide page to find a local group if you’re not sure what’s going on in your area.
Sign up for Daily Action alerts and give a few bucks to help keep this organization going. They text you every day with one important call to make.
And contact your state representatives as well. Many things will be worked out on the state level in resistance to the federal landslide of anti-everything legislation.
Continue to be craftivists! There’s so much we can do to spread messages and make the resistance visible. Keep up the good work!