How are you doing? It’s been over a year since Trump was elected and almost a year since his inauguration. That’s a year of having an illegitimate president who is not doing the job and is working on destroying our democracy. That’s pretty dire. But more and more of the dirt in the background is coming out in the Mueller investigation, and more and more people are joining the resistance. We are gonna win this thing, no matter how long it takes.
I know it’s the holiday season, but we can’t let up! Remember last year how we all said, “We’re in this for the long haul?” It’s definitely gonna take a long time to fix this mess. But lately I’m hearing a lot of people who are feeling discouraged, who are ready to give up, or who can’t stand being angry all the time. I get it. I really do. But we can’t quit.
Ditch the Anger
We can, however, not allow Trump and his minions control our emotions.
One way to pull back on the negative emotions is to use knitting, or any craft, as a way to calm ourselves. This is part of craftivism. I’ve been dyeing yarn every day. I love the calmness of preparing the skeins, watching the colors move in the dyepots, and repeating the process over and over again.
If you don’t already have a peaceful craft practice going for December, you can still join up for Project Peace and get daily peace inspiration in your inbox for the rest of the month, plus knit a relaxing, soothing scarf/shawl together with knitters all over the world.
Feel the Power
Every time you feel like you can’t take it any more, like it’s so discouraging that you want to quit the resistance, think about the millions of people in Eastern Europe who suffered under the Soviet occupation for decades and never gave up. We can’t quit after one year! We can’t even say, “I’m tired” after one year! We must keep resisting. Take breaks when you need to, and cut down on your news and social media consumption. But stay in the loop!
Make it a Habit
Make your resistance routine part of your daily self-care routine. Make it something that feeds you and gives you energy, rather than being something that drains you or makes you lock up with fear and anger. If you spend 30 minutes a day showering, brushing your teeth, and combing your hair, you can spend 15 minutes a day resisting.
I got this message from a Facebook friend the other day: “Someone told me I should give up my anger of him. That it wasn’t good energy.”
Yes, that’s true. I am doing that too (although I’m not always successful at keeping back the waves of rage). But it doesn’t mean you stop doing the WORK of the resistance. You just do it and don’t let it become a negative vortex in your life.
I suggest signing up for Daily Action and using Resistbot to contact your reps regularly. And sign up for your local Indivisible Guide group’s Facebook group or so you can see when there are any protests or rallies in your area that you want to attend, or join the national Indivisible Guide email list to get a weekly to do list every Monday. And then don’t read the news all the time, etc. Maybe skim or read Amy Siskind‘s weekly list or watch Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin‘s daily short video. Both of these strong reSisters post action items throughout the week, too.
And that’s all I would do. Don’t even try to do everything. But do something every day. We can’t let them ruin our lives. But we can’t stop resisting and let them ruin our country and the planet either.
What Actions are Needed This week?
- Undocumented youth are leading a campaign to take over MoC’s offices across the country to demand they stand for Dreamers. Find an #OurDream action in your area or organize your own before Friday.
- Call your Senators and tell them to be a Dream hero. Visit www.dreamerpledge.org to find out if your Senators have taken the Dreamer Pledge. Then grab your phone and dial 1-855-980-2355, enter your zip code when prompted, then you’ll be connected to one of your Senators. Call back and you’ll be connected to your other Senator.
- Use ResistBot to tell your Senators to call on the FCC to delay the Net Neutrality vote. Text resist to 50409 and follow the prompts.
- Donate to Native American tribes and environmental groups who are fighting Trump’s latest executive order to steal millions of acres from two major National Monuments to look for oil. (Links are in the second paragraph of that article.)
- Chip in to help Doug Jones win the special election for the Alabama Senate seat. This will change the makeup of the Senate to benefit Dems AND keep a pedophile from representing the
Thanks and keep up the good work!