What happened?Puerto Rico still doesn’t have all the help it needs, and most people are still without power. Trump is in Asia where he’s being an ass and meeting with his puppet-master, Putin. On his way, he was met by creative resisters in Hawaii with signs saying, “Welcome to Kenya.” It all happens so quickly, by the time I get to write these blog posts, sometimes I don’t even remember what happened. That’s why Amy Siskind’s list is so important! She has a brand new website to make it easier to read and review what’s happening. Robert Reich says,
The Weekly List reminds us Trump is not normal, and he’s imposing incalculable harm on America. Not only must he be resisted, but we must never again allow our democracy to be imperiled by a demagogue.
What resisting should I focus on?
November 7 is election day in most states. Go vote! Get your friends out, too. Find out how you can be part of flipping more states blue.
Ok here’s the skinny on what else we all should be doing right now:
- Hang up ACA Open Enrollment flyers around your town. I made this PDF that you can download and print. Help your friends and neighbors get signed up for health insurance. Open enrollment is going on now until Dec 15.
- Keep calling and faxing your reps every day about the timely issues. Right now: Help for Puerto Rico, NO on the reverse-Robin-Hood tax “reform,” don’t let Trump fire Mueller, and IMPEACH.
- Yes Mueller is still going strong and there will be lots of indictments and news coming up regularly. Trump will probably resign or be impeached and many others will go down with him. (Over 40 people were indicted, charged, and convicted in Watergate. The president and veep were both removed.)
- BUT don’t be doing a happy dance in advance. The USA is still under threat of becoming an autocracy under dictator Trump. Keep reading and sharing Timothy Snyder’s book On Tyranny and following Amy Siskind’s weekly list. But, also, don’t get bogged down in panic.
- Protest and march every chance you get about a) the issues you care most about and b) general protest against Trump, autocracy, and fascism.
- DON’T get caught up in fighting or arguing about any topic that is not directly related to getting the fascists out of power, beginning with removing Trump. Any of that shit can be handled later. If we don’t get rid of the fascists, none of that will matter anyway.