Resistance Update 10/21/17
Here we are again. How are you holding up? It’s been a rough few weeks for sure. Remember that they are trying to wear us out and overwhelm us. If you need a break, take a short one. And remember to focus on the issues that are most important to you. We have to work together and spread the work around so we can keep resisting for as long as this regime is in power. Remember, it’s a relay race, not a marathon!
A lot. Here are a few things that stood out to me.
- Puerto Rico still doesn’t have the help it needs, even as the death toll from Hurricane Maria approaches 500.
- Donald Trump, once again, disrespected Gold Star families who have lost beloved family members serving in the military. He also lied (I know, big surprise, but then General Kelly lost all credibility but backing up Trump’s lies.)
- Rachel Maddow revealed how Trump’s latest travel ban, which included Chad, led directly to the death of these four elite soldiers in Niger. It’s entirely Trump’s fault.
- Trump signed an order allowing him to re-enlist retired members of the military. The stated reason is to fill slot in the Air Force, but the order is open-ended for ALL military. What the hell is he up to?
- 51 morons in the Senate voted to open up the Arctic Wildlife Refuge for drilling oil.
- Tom Price’s wife asked why we can’t quarantine people with HIV. You all, this is how concentration camps and genocide begins.
- The Senate did some kind of sneaky midnight vote on a budget plan that will allow them to somehow gut Medicaid and Medicare without 60 votes or the threat of filibuster. I don’t quite get the technical details but this is them trying to take our healthcare away again. You know the drill. Call, fax, and hound your reps in every possible way. This is NOT acceptable.
As always, Amy Siskind has a comprehensive weekly list
of the shitshow that is Trump’s America.
What can you do next?
Get ready for the Refuse Fascism marches and protests
. November 4th, it begins. Take to the Streets, Day After Day, The Trump/Pence Regime Must GO! We need to be louder and stronger if we are going to win this fight. Print and hang up my protest posters around your town. I’ve started saving Amy Siskind’s weekly list as a PDF and faxing it to my reps to ask them if they’re following her and what they’re doing about our slide into authoritarianism. You can use FaxZero
to fax your Senators
and Congressional Reps
and attach PDFs to your faxes for free. Look up a way to help Puerto Rico
. Here is a terrific knitting design that might be your next craftivist project. After I finish my anti-racist yarn banner, I’m going to do one or more of these for sure!
The Tempestry Project by Emily McNeil
One of the ongoing problems inherent in discussions about climate change is the vast scale of the conversation. Climate change is both global and gradual, happening on a timescale far beyond our immediate individual experiences. It can be hard to believe that the world is warming when we personally, in our own local weather systems, may have just experienced an unusually cold winter. Our goal, through knitting and crocheting temperature tapestries (or “tempestries”), is to visualize climate data in a way that is accurate, tangible, and beautiful. Ultimately, we envision the Tempestry Project as a means of creating a many-faceted mosaic of temperature data across the United States and perhaps beyond, going as far back as the data allows. Each individual “tempestry” embodies one year of daily high temperatures for a particular location.
The pattern is free on Ravelry
and kits are available on Etsy
. They’ll even help you work up the data you need for your location and chosen year!