Let’s spend 2017 reading about the beautiful history, culture, and people from different places around the world, who have all come to America to add to our rich heritage and diverse society.
February’s research and knitting project for my 2017 theme: Our Knitting Roots. I’m starting in the Middle East, where knitting began.
I am going to re-read three books as part of the project, and I’ll put out a pattern for Syrian toe-up socks based on whatever I can find, which may be a combination of Turkish and Armenian knitting because so far I haven’t found anything on Syrian knitting. Sadly, whatever information may have survived in museums and with private owners has probably been destroyed recently. Of course, that is nothing compared with the tragedies of so many people being displaced and so many losing their lives.
- House of Stone, by Anthony Shadid, is of the best books I’ve ever read. I loved it so much I bought the ebook and the audio book.
- Arab American is by one of my favorite authors, Gary Nabhan. Everything he’s written inspires me to write, make art, and be a better person. So you can’t lose with that combination, right?
- On the knitting side, we can dive into Ethnic Socks and Stockings by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, which is the only reference on Middle Eastern and EasternEuropean toe-up sock techniques and patterns.
What do you think? Shall we have a little reading/knitting club?
I think it will work like this:
- I’ll select a theme, design a project, and recommend a book or two to read. (I know, I couldn’t resist three this time, and I’m actually reading four but I figured that would be way to scary for some of you.)
- I’ll announce the theme and the reading selection(s) in my blog and newsletter.
- We’ll have discussions wherever you’re hanging out–in blog comments, on Facebook in the Compassionate Craftivists group, in my Ravelry group.
- I’ll publish the pattern as soon as it’s ready and we’ll have an informal KAL as we continue to read.
There won’t be a set schedule because I may not get to complete a new pattern every month or whatever… so I’ll just announce whenever we are starting the next thing.