Buy a signed copy today!
$22.00, Paperback + FREE SHIPPING
Paypal shipping will reflect $0.00 for U.S. Residents.
International shipping outside USA is $11.00 US.
Audo book is NOW AVAILABLE.
Qiviut, or musk ox down, is a world-class fiber—luxurious, warm, and lightweight. People who experience it become obsessed. Qiviut makes perfect hand-knitted lace, as demonstrated by the Alaskan artisans of Oomingmak Musk Ox Producers’ Co-op.
This book presents how-tos for knitting and designing lace, projects suited to new as well as experienced lace knitters, yarn sources, and comprehensive cultural background.
Here’s what you’ll find inside the book:
A simple step-by-step introduction to knitting and designing lace, applicable to any yarn.
Fifteen projects, for beginning to intermediate lace knitters.
Information about the history and use of qiviut, possibly the world’s most exquisite fiber.
Stories about Yup’ik and Inupiat women and their culture.
- Preface: Following my Obsessions to the Arctic
- Introduction: The Oomingmak Knitter’s Co-op
- Chapter 1: The Yup’ik and Inupiat People
- Chapter 2: Villages and Knitters
- Chapter 3: Musk Oxen
- Chapter 4: Qiviut Fiber and Yarn
- Chapter 5: History of the Co-op and Musk Ox Farm
- Chapter 6: Lace Knitting Workshop
- Chapter 7: Projects
- Chapter 8: Designing Your Own